- 1 small pumpkin (about 2 pounds)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons OLEA's Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh oregano, for garnish
- Small pumpkins hollowed out for serving (optional)
- Start by peeling and seeding the pumpkin. Then, chop it into small cubes.
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, garlic, carrot, and celery. Sauté for about 5 minutes until the vegetables start to soften.
- Add the chopped pumpkin, ground cinnamon, and ground nutmeg. Sauté for another 2-3 minutes to enhance the flavors.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 20-25 minutes until the pumpkin is tender.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth. If you don't have an immersion blender, carefully transfer the mixture to a regular blender in batches.
- Return the soup to the pot and stir in the coconut milk. Simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Adjust the spices and consistency if needed.
- Ladle the creamy pumpkin soup into bowls, garnish with fresh oregano, a pinch of pepper and serve hot.
Recipe adapted from The Little Shop of Olive Oils