- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, divided
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2/3 cup (133g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fleur de sel or fine sea salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 quarter-sized piece lemon peel
- 1/4 cup (60mL) OLEA's fruity Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Combine milk and remaining heavy cream (3/4 cup) in a saucepan. Add sugar and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until it starts to steam and barely bubble around the edges (do not let it fully boil).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks until smooth.
- Slowly whisk some of the hot cream mixture into the egg yolks, drizzling in 1/3 cup or so at a time, until about half of the cream mixture has been incorporated and yolk mixture is warm to the touch. You want to do this gradually; doing so will temper the egg yolks rather than cook them.
- Pour yolk mixture back into the saucepan and return to medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens slightly and coats the back of a spatula, about 5 to 7 minutes, or until it reaches approximately 175ºF. Do not allow it to boil. Remove from heat, and pour mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl, discarding any solids. Add remaining 3/4 cup cream and lemon peel. Let cool slightly (you can also use an ice bath to expedite this process), then cover with plastic wrap, carefully pressing wrap down onto the surface of the cream mixture to prevent a skin from forming on top. Refrigerate until completely cool, at least 3 hours or overnight if possible.
- Once fully chilled and just prior to churning, remove lemon peel and discard. Slowly drizzle olive oil into chilled cream mixture, whisking vigorously until fully incorporated.
- Churn in an ice cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions. When it is the consistency of soft serve, transfer to a freezer-safe container. Press a layer of parchment paper on the top of the container to prevent freezer burn, then cover and freeze at least 2 hours or overnight until firm.
Recipe adapted from loveandoliveoil.com