- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk*
- 3/4 cup OLEA's Mild Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or try Blood Orange for a fruity version)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup hot water
Chocolate cream cheese frosting
- 1 and 1/4 cup full fat block of cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons full fat or whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350 F standard. Grease and line two 8-inch round cake pans with baking or parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Then add the sugars. Whisk together. In a separate mixing bowl, add the buttermilk, olive oil, vanilla and eggs. Whisk together. Boil the kettle and pour out 1 cup of hot water.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Start to fold together. Then slowly pour in the hot water down the side of the bowl, and continue to mix until all the ingredients are incorporated.
- Divide the mixture into two cake tins and bake for approximately 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Leave for 10 minutes before gently removing the cakes from their tins and leave them to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Place softened cream cheese in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Add half the sugar, all the cocoa powder and 1 tablespoon of milk and beat on low until combined and smooth. Add the rest of the sugar and the extra tablespoon of milk, and beat until combined.
- Spread half the chocolate frosting on top of one chocolate cake. Add the other cake on top and cover with the remaining frosting. Serve with fresh strawberries if desired.
*Buttermilk: If you don’t have buttermilk, make your own by adding 1 tablespoon of white vinegar to 1 cup of whole or full fat milk.
Recipe adapted from sweetestmenu.com
Back to Desserts