Olive Oil & Balsamic VinegarHealth Benefits
Ultra-Premium Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
OLEA supplies the highest standard of EVOO based on the Ultra Premium standards that have been set forth by our supplier, Veronica Foods.
Freshness, quality, authenticity and of course the great health benefits and taste are of utmost importance to OLEA. In order to be classified as an Ultra Premium EVOO our oils must be certified, lab tested and sensory evaluated – this sets us apart from all other olive oil distributors. As part of the certification process, the oil must be cold pressed one time and never heated or refined in any way. EVOO’s must NOT have any additives or any other kinds oils mixed in with it.
Know the country. Know the Crush Date. Know the Chemistry.
Country – All of OLEA’s Extra Virgin Olive Oils state their country of origin and the species of olive tree that is harvested to make each specific oil. Our supplier, Veronica Foods, visits each olive grove to verify where the oil comes from and their methods of production.
Crush Date – Knowing when the olives have been crushed determines the freshness of the oil and is far more important than an expiry date or best before date, which is typical of many olive oils available in grocery stores. Olive oil decreases in flavour and in health benefits over time and as such you want the freshest oil. The olives harvested by our supplier are picked off the tree and crushed on the same day…..offer true freshness! Fresh crushed EVOO is like fresh squeezed fruit or vegetable juice. For the freshness, authencity and health benefits, you want to purchase your EVOO within 2-15 months of crush and consume your purchased oils from OLEA within 6-9 months of purchase. Typical grocery store oil has a best before date of two years, is likely poorly made and typically has lost all healthy nutrients and flavours.
EVOO Health Benefits
EVOO is considered a healthy fat. EVOO is extremely rich in monounsaturated fat; a type of fat that researchers are discovering has excellent health benefits. No other naturally produced oil has as large an amount of monounsaturated fat and polyphenols as EVOO which benefits the heart. EVOO contains naturally occurring antioxidants and anti-inflammatory agents, which can help with joint pain. EVOO helps at reducing bad cholesterol and increases good cholesterol.
Other Health Benefits of EVOO
- Reduces the risk of depression
- Reduces the risk of type 2 diabetes by 50%
- Reverses damage done to arteries
- Counters the oxidizing effects of the sun and slow down skin cancer
- Reduces oxidative stress, and can protect against Alzheimer’s
As shown in the Existing Standards for Extra Virgin Olive Oil chart, all of our EVOO’s display their phenolic contents. The lower the phenolic content in your EVOO the milder it will be and the greater the phenolic content the more pungent and robust it will be. Individuals that are looking for health benefits will purchase the EVOO with the highest polyphenol (which we have seen as high as 556ppm) content and drink 1-2 tbsp. per day.
Other chemical parameters that are evaluated when classifying an EVOO include the free fatty acids, which dictate the smoke point, the peroxide value which determines the rancidity level, three K values which are a measurement of purity, oleic acid which is classified as a monounsaturated omega-9 fatty acid, (good fats) that keeps food safe longer and lastly the DAG’s and PPP’s which determine the freshness, authenticity and quality of the oils.
For more information on EVOO visit www.oliveoiltimes.com/olive-oil-health-benefits
Balsamic Vinegar Health Benefits
Like our EVOO’s, Balsamic Vinegar boasts a list of great health benefits, in fact the original word ‘balsam’ means curative. Not only is balsamic vinegar well known for its health benefits but it is also very flavourful in taste.
Incorporating balsamic vinegar in your daily diet can benefit you immensely. Balsamic Vinegar retains most of the nutrients in the parent grape like calcium, iron, manganese, potassium, magnesium and phosphorus in adequate amounts. This results in several health benefits which recent studies have shown including the following:
- Antioxidants from balsamic vinegar destroy free radicals and prevent cells from being destroyed.
- Fights cancer. The grapes from which balsamic vinegar is formed is known to contain a bioflavonoid called quercetin, which has antioxidants properties.
- Reduces the risk of heart attacks. Being low in saturated fat it is believed that this lowers. cholesterol and in being low in sodium enhances heart health and reduces high blood pressure.
- Controls Diabetes by enhancing insulin sensitivity.
- Stimulates the pepsin enzyme in the body, which helps break down proteins and assist in digestion.
- Has anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties which is a natural pain reliever and heals wounds.
- Increases the time it takes your stomach to empty and as such supresses one’s appetite.
- Reduces the frequency of headache inceptions.
- Strengthens bones (calcium absorption)
- Energizes the body,
- Slows down the aging process
- Prevents anemia
For a complete list of health benefits visit Veronica Food’s webpage at http://www.deliziaoilandvinegar.com/search?q=balsamic+vinegar+health&go=Search
Olea Oil and Vinegar Tasting Room
10 – 244 1st Ave NE, Carmel Mall
Swift Current, SK S9H 2B4 | +1 306-773-0503 | OLEA@oleaoil.ca
Opening Hours: Monday - Friday 10:00 AM - 5:30 PM | Saturday 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM